Transport Operator Professional Competence: Responsibilities of Competent Transport Manager
Businesses will have job descriptions which outline what tasks and duties professionally competent transport managers should undertake. Traffic Commissioners will, however, expect them to have certain core responsibilities. These include making proper working arrangements to ensure that:
• drivers comply fully with the hours and tachograph regulations and the Working Time Directive
• drivers comply with all speed limits
• the maintenance of vehicles takes place at appropriate scheduled intervals, including the regular safety inspection of vehicle; maintenance procedures must include a documented procedure for daily driver vehicle (when in use) checks and reporting of defects
• appropriate maintenance records are kept for a minimum of 15 months
• arrangements are in place to avoid vehicles becoming overloaded
• authorised vehicles are kept at the authorised operating centre when not in use
• the Traffic Commissioner is notified if the transport manager resigns from the company.
Form TM1, used to notify the Traffic Commissioner of a change of transport manager, may be found at GOV.UK website as part of online management of the O-licence. This form includes a declaration by the nominated professionally competent transport manager acknowledging the above responsibilities.
This article makes up part of our Transport Operators Professional Competence series. We recommend you read the following articles to help give you a good understanding of the requirements for transport operators.
NTP Services provide Transport Manager CPC study courses. We have options available for both HGV and PCV. We offer both classroom and online training.
Our online training course is the UK’s leading course and has an extremely high pass rate. It is the most comprehensive and best-performing study course available and has a pass rate of 87% which is substantially higher than the national average of 57%.
For more information about Transport Manager CPC classroom training please CLICK HERE
For more information about ONLINE Transport Manager CPC training for HGV please CLICK HERE
For more information about ONLINE Transport Manager CPC training for PCV please CLICK HERE
Source URL: https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/transport-operator-professional-competence/indepth