Transport Operator Professional Competence: Employers and Employees Duties
Professional competence refers to the meeting of specified qualifying conditions, by individuals, that enable them to become the “nominated” transport manager on a goods or passenger vehicle operator’s licence (O-licence). This topic covers the requirements and responsibilities involved for both the transport operator (ie the employer) and the nominated transport manager, whether a direct employee of the transport operator (ie an internal transport manager) or a freelance employee (ie external transport manager).
• employ at least one professionally competent transport manager for each O-licence that they hold, or engage at least one external “freelance” professionally competent manager
• ensure that the nominated professionally competent transport manager continuously and effectively manages the vehicle fleet; the employer must supervise and monitor the actions of the transport manager
• confirm that the nominated professionally competent transport manager is of good repute
• inform the Traffic Commissioner of any changes affecting the professionally competent transport manager
• inform the Traffic Commissioner within 28 days if the professionally competent transport manager is convicted of any offence.
Employees (ie transport managers) must:
• provide proof of their professional competence qualification
• undertake continuing professional development in the relevant areas, at least every 10 years but ideally more frequently
• make proper working arrangements for the operation and maintenance of the vehicle fleet and control of drivers so as to prevent the laws on road transport from being broken
• inform their employer if they are personally convicted of any offence
• notify the relevant Traffic Commissioner if they resign from the post of nominated transport manager.
This article makes up part of our Transport Operators Professional Competence series. We recommend you read the following articles to help give you a good understanding of the requirements for transport operators.
NTP Services provide Transport Manager CPC study courses. We have options available for both HGV and PCV. We offer both classroom and online training.
Our online training course is the UK’s leading course and has an extremely high pass rate. It is the most comprehensive and best-performing study course available and has a pass rate of 87% which is substantially higher than the national average of 57%.
For more information about Transport Manager CPC classroom training please CLICK HERE
For more information about ONLINE Transport Manager CPC training for HGV please CLICK HERE
For more information about ONLINE Transport Manager CPC training for PCV please CLICK HERE
Source URL: https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/transport-operator-professional-competence/indepth